In excess of 130 new landlord obligations that come into effect on the 29th of March 2021, Property investors in Victoria will be facing additional cost and time in managing their assets.
The new standards will, in many cases, require substantial changes to processes, documents and systems, meaning a fresh round of education is needed for the sector.
These new standards will require changes to processes, documents and systems, which means a fresh round of education is needed for the sector. The following information is taken from the consumer Victorian Government website.
Victorian renting regulations
New renting regulations available
The Residential Tenancies Regulations 2021 are now available.
The Department of Justice and Community Safety received more than 700 written submissions on the draft regulations from the Victorian community. After reviewing and considering all submissions, Minister for Consumer Affairs, Gaming and Liquor Regulation Melissa Horne has decided to incorporate a number of changes into the regulations.
- Compensation for sales inspections – a minimum of $30 compensation is required to be paid per inspection.
- Information that cannot be requested from applicants – prohibitions on requesting a passport, or about nationality status has been removed, and a prohibition has been included on asking about protected attributes under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 unless a written reason for the question is provided.
- Information that a rental provider must disclose – additional requirements for disclosure have been included at the request of renters.
- Gas and electricity safety checks – the meaning of a ‘gas safety check’ and ‘electrical safety check’ has been defined to ensure that rental providers understand their safety maintenance obligations.
- Ventilation – a new rental minimum standard has been developed for ventilation.
- Heating – the energy efficiency (2 star) heating rental minimum standard has been extended to Class 2 rental properties (apartments) unless the rental provider can prove it would be unreasonable in terms of technical, cost or owners corporation requirements to install an energy efficient heater.
Get in touch
Contact us today